The Statutes of International Cooperative Banking Association as approved at the Meeting of Executive Committee in Kenya, December 2004
Article 1 : Name
The name shall be "International Co-operative Banking Association" (of the International Co-operative Alliance"), hereinafter referred to as ICBA.
Article 2 : The Role and the objectives of the ICBA
- The ICBA shall be representative of co-operative bodies interested in banking, affiliated, directly or indirectly, to the International Co-operative Alliance, hereinafter referred to as ICA.
- The ICBA shall initiate and encourage worldwide discussion and constructive resolution of the crucial issues that face co-operative financial institutions (e.g. accounting standards and legislation not recognizing the specific nature of cooperatives, etc.). It shall disseminate best practices amongst members and encourage co-operation between them.
- The ICBA shall organize, collect, process and render the information on activity of ICBA and world’s co-operative banking subjects in a way to make possible a fast, efficient and active access to these data for ICBA members and other authorized organizations, especially the ICA and other co-operative organizations.
- The ICBA shall set up and promote Regional Banking Committees hereinafter referred to as “RBCs”, covering different geographical areas as required by its members to act as a forum for discussion of regional and worldwide co-operative banking issues and questions.
Article 3 : Membership
- National and international co-operative bodies whose activity is related to the banking industry, who enjoy a good reputation, a democratic constitution and who are affiliated directly or indirectly to ICA as well as other organizations, provided that their field of activity and mission respect the ICA’s objectives, shall be eligible for membership.
- Where possible, applying organization will join the RBC covering the geographical area in which their organization is situated.
- Where there is no RBC covering any member organizations geographical location, then applying organization becomes an independent member of Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall decide on admission to membership of the ICBA
- Withdrawal of membership shall be admissible on one year’s notice and membership will lapse automatically in the event of the failure of the member to pay Executive (as appropriate) subscription after being one year in arrear.
- Any co-operative financial organization which, for particular reasons - as decided by the Executive Committee - is not able to enjoy the advantages of a complete membership, can, nevertheless, request the granting of “Associated members” without voting rights.
- The Executive Committee shall grant “Associated members”.
Article 4 : Membership Fees
- The Executive committee shall decide on the membership dues for ICBA international.
- Membership fees are paid by RBCs on behalf of their region or individually if there is no RBC.
- The RCBs shall declare to the ICBA Secretariat their method of payment for the membership dues for the Executive Committee.
- Membership fees shall be due and payable in the first quarter of a calendar year and shall be sent to the Executive Committee Headquarters by 31 March.
- The RBC shall propose to the members its annual fee. The Executive Committee shall require the Executive Committee fee from the RBC to be paid promptly.
- Each member shall pay an annual regional membership fee to the RBC to which it belongs. The amount of such fee shall be determined by the RBC in line with general policy set by the Executive Committee.
- Either the Executive Committee or the RBCs may, by honouring special circumstances, reduce or waive a member’s fee.
Article 5 : Constitution
- Organs of ICBA consist of :
- 1. Ordinary Members’ Meeting and Executive Committee
- 2. Regional Members’ Meeting and Regional Committees
- The ICBA has the status of a specialized organization of the ICA.
Article 6 : Ordinary Members’ Meeting
- The Ordinary Members’ Meeting decides on directions and development of the ICBA. The Ordinary Members’ Meeting shall have the following powers :
- to approve future working program of ICBA
- to elect members of the Executive Committee and the President of the ICBA
- to approve the budget of ICBA
- to approve the financial contribution
- Member organizations shall be entitled to appoint any number of delegates to the Ordinary Members’ Meeting. Delegates have the right to take the floor. Associated members have no voting rights
- Each member organization shall have one vote at the Ordinary Members’ Meeting, except associated members who having no voting rights and decisions shall be taken by a simple majority of those member organizations in attendance. The President shall have a casting vote.
- An Ordinary Members’ Meeting shall be convened once a year, normally at the time of a meeting of the ICA Central Committee. Extraordinary Members’ Meetings shall be convened at the discretion of the Executive.
Article 7 : Regional Members’ Meeting
- The Regional Members’ Meeting shall have the following powers :
- to approve future working program of RBC
- to discuss the annual themes set by the Executive Committee and Ordinary Members’ Meeting
- to elect members of the RBC and a chairman of that Committee
- to approve their own financial budget
- Member organizations shall be entitled to appoint any number of delegates to the Regional Members’ Meeting. Delegates have the right to take the floor. Associated members may attend subject to the approval of the Regional Chairman.
- Each member organization shall have one vote at the Regional Members’ Meeting and a decision shall be taken by a simple majority of those member organizations in attendance. The Regional Chairman shall have the casting vote.
- A Regional Members’ Meetings shall be convened once a year. Extraordinary Regional Members’ Meetings shall be convened at the discretion of the Regional Chairmen of the RBC.
Article 8 : The Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall consist of President, Vice Presidents.
- Regional Chairmen’s are Vice Presidents of the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall be elected for a four-year term.
- The Executive Committee shall elect from its membership any further Vice Presidents and a Secretary.
- Should a member of the Executive Committee resign, then the Executive Committee may co-opt a member until the next Ordinary Members’ Meeting.
- Re-election shall be permitted.
- In particular the Executive Committee :
- executes the resolutions of the Ordinary Members’ Meeting
- takes decisions concerning current issues connected with the activities of the ICBA
- works out an activity program for the ICBA and a financial plan
- manages the ICBA property
- implement the objectives of the ICBA and report to the Ordinary Members’ Meeting
- report to the members at the Ordinary Members’ Meetings on the financial situation of ICBA and establish a budget.
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least twice yearly upon invitation of the President. 20% of the Executive Committee can ask for additional meetings.
- Any member of the Executive Committee can delegate a representative if he cannot attend a meeting. The Secretary has to be informed of such delegation in writing before the meeting.
- If a member of the Executive Committee ceases his activities with the institution represented on the Committee, the member can – in co-operation with the institution represented – propose to the Executive Committee a replacement to be elected.
Article 9 : Regional Banking Committees
- At present, the following Regional Banking Committees are set up :
- Asia & the Pacific
- East, Central & Southern Africa
- North Africa and Middle East
- In particular the RBCs :
- executes the resolutions of the Regional Members’ Meeting - takes decisions concerning current issues connected with the activities of the RCB
- report to the members at the Regional Members’ Meetings on the financial situation of RCB and establish a budget
- implement the objectives of the ICBA and report to the Regional Members’ Meeting
- submit to the Secretariat minutes of their Regional Meetings
- The RBCs shall be controlled by a Regional Members’ Meeting and by the Executive Committee.
- The RBCs will have to follow guidelines received from members in the Ordinary Members’ Meeting and Executive Committee.
- The RBCs shall collaborate with the Executive Committee in that field of collecting, processing and exchanging of information among the ICBA members and in the field of carrying on the common : lobbying and information activities.
Article 10 : Collaborate with ICA
- ICBA represents on behalf of the ICA the interests of co-operative financial institutions to other international co-operative or non-co-operative organizations, and to collaborate with the governmental and non-governmental agencies for financial affairs.
- ICBA is entitled to one representative at the General Assembly, who shall have full voting rights
- ICBA has the right to propose to ICA Board themes for discussion at the meetings of ICA Authorities.
- The ICBA collaborate with appropriate ICA committees and ICA members.
- The ICBA shall inform the ICBA about its activities and the activities of the RBCs ; and the President and Director General of the ICA, or a person appointed by one of them, shall be invited to attend Ordinary Members’, Executive and Regional Members’ Meetings.
- To shall publish information and results of the work of the RBCs and Executive via ICA publications, its own journal, press releases and other efficient means.
Article 11 : The Secretariat
- The Secretary shall be responsible to the Executive Committee for the operational and administrative work of that Committee, reporting on the financial situation, convening meetings and undertaking such other duties as the Executive Committee may from time to time prescribe.
- The working languages of the Secretariat are English, French and Spanish. The President of the ICBA can – after consultation with the Executive Committee – decide upon a single working language in which the minutes, reports, correspondence and other documents are issued.
Article 12 : Special Committee’s
- If necessary the Executive Committee may set up Special Committee’s.
Article 13 : Amendment to the Rules
- Amendments to the Rules require a two-thirds majority of those member organizations attending the Ordinary Members’ Meeting.
- Amendments to the Rules of the RBC will need to be passed by a two-thirds majority of those member organizations attending the RBC Meeting.
Article 14 : Dissolution
- The ICBA may be dissolved by a decision of an Ordinary Members’ Meeting and /or the recommendation of the Executive Committee. It shall require a three-quarters majority vote of those member organizations attending an Ordinary Members’ Meeting.
- The RBC may be dissolved by a decision of a Regional members’ Meeting and/or the recommendation of the Executive Committee. It shall require a three quarters majority vote of those member organizations attending a Regional Members’ Meeting.
- Any meeting approving a proposal to dissolve the ICBA or one of its RBC shall also determine how any debts shall be paid. In the event of any surplus remaining after dissolution, this shall be placed at the disposal of the ICA, should the ICBA be no longer in existence.